Saturday, March 9, 2013

Food Talk: Gavino's Japanese Donuts

Hi. To say that I've been wanting to try Gavino's Donuts for so long would probably seem like an understatement. I don't know exactly when I found out about Gavino's but I've been planning to go there. In my head. Just because Greenhills Town Center just seemed to far for me to go to. Then I read from Helen of Lucky Citrine that Gavino's has a branch in Il Terrazzo. Still a bit far from where I'm from but this place I'm quite familiar with. I think I squealed like a little girl when I was reading her entry about it. That exact same weekend I made, yes made, my dad drive us to Il Terrazzo for the sake of my hungry tummy.

What's so special about their donuts anyway? Well, what attracted me of course is the shape. Their donuts are called pon de rings. These donuts are actually popular in Taiwan, Korea, and Japan. They're like big beaded bracelets, which, if I may add, made it so much fun to eat. They're also quite chewy and light with a distinct flavor. Probably because they're made from rice flour.


We had our second trip a few hours ago. It's my sister's finals week and she needs sweets to help her through. No, seriously. She had like a couple of chocolate bars already. Yes, bars. And then she just started thinking about Gavino's so...She took all the pictures by the way.





The regular ones (the ones in purple cardboard) cost 29 each, 27 when your buying half a dozen and 25 when you'll be bringing home a dozen. Some flavors I've tried are sour cream, sugar raised, glazed, my favorite green tea, and cinnamon. For the premium ones (red tags), they're priced at 39, 37, and 35 with the same concept. I haven't tried any but they have one's with filling, and they have ensaymada and ones with almonds and some with M&Ms.



 These are their pon de balls, which are like munchkins with filling that range from bavarian, strawberry to hazelnut and red velvet. All awesome. They're priced at 15 each, 90 for a box of 6 and 200 for a box of 15. BTW, they have regular donuts too but I was to busy ogling the cute ones. =)

Well, what can I say about them.. I think I've let on more than I should. *haha* I absolutely love them. Great light chewy donuts which aren't too sweet. Probably the best donuts I've tried. My family loves it too. Let's just say I think we'll be making more late night trips just for a box of Gavino's.

Gavino's Japanese Donuts are available at Il Terazzo (it's just a stall somewhere in the ground floor near Yoogane, a Korean restaurant that I'm now dying to try), Greenhills Town Center (this one's a cafe I think), and Banawe.

UPDATE(08/03/2013)- Gavino's Japanese Donuts is now available at Landmark, Trinoma!

Have you tried Gavino's? What do you think 'bout their donuts? Lemme know. Cheerio!

2 comments:

  1. I felt that you really really loved Gavino's! Haha! :D It has the most unique texture among the doughnuts that I have tried. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. Really really really did. Haha. ^^ All thanks to your post. =) They're really unique and good.

      Delete