Thursday, July 4, 2013

Certified Movie Buff: Cast Away

Hey guys! Just a quick movie entry. 

A few weeks ago, my family and I had some sort of Tom Hanks movie marathon, we're talking about You've Got Mail and all those other old Tom Hanks films I could even barely remember. But one film though, I'd never forget or even get tired of watching. And that's the 2000 film, Cast Away.

I've probably watched this more than 20 times but I still cry every time.  

http://tomhanks.forumfree.it/?t=22772266
 Cast Away is about the FedEx system analyst, Chuck Noland (Hanks). He's some sort of expert on the time it takes for FedEx to deliver their packages and stuff, and he tries to figure out when there are delivery problems. At around Christmas time, he gets summoned to fly to Asia to figure out a problem in Malaysia. 

On the way, his plane crashes and after some time, he gets swept to shore with only the life raft he's been holding on to and a few FedEx packages that he was able to get a hold of.

His first few weeks were obviously a painted picture of train wreck moments. It was interesting to watch how he tried to survive on the island--his struggles to feed himself or keep warm and just stay sane. He spent four years stuck on the island with almost no hope of being rescued with the picture of his girlfriend, Kelly, and a unopened FedEx package as the only things he holds on to as reasons to live.

http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/science-explains-wilson-the-volleyball/
My favorite, and probably most heart-wrenching, moment in the film was the time toward the end of the film when he just decided to build a raft with his island best friend Wilson the volleyball, well, ball, and try to find their way home. But because of the storm, Wilson gets lost, sending Nolan to tears, saying sorry that he was unable to save his inanimate friend. It's supposed to be funny, but it wasn't. I mean, it made me cry! 

The ending was interesting. I wouldn't say much since there may be some of you who haven't watched it yet and are planning to. All I'd say is that it was a nice wrap to such a great film. ^^

Believe me, if you're planning to watch this film and you're a human faucet like me, bring some tissues. Or towels. Huge ones.

Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment