Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Food Talk: Epicurean Cakes

Hey! Am I the only one who thought today is Thursday? That's bad I guess since that means that I've lost track of time and it's seemingly slowing down. ^^

Anyway, let the cupcake testing continue! A few weeks ago, I came across Epicurean Cakes in Sumi Go's blog, The Purple Doll (Check out her entry here.) Yes, I do love reading food blogs just as much as I love beauty blogs and Sumi's blog is one of the awesome-st food blogs I've ever read. Let's just say I dare you not to get hungry while looking at her pictures or reading her entries. 

I was a bit hesitant to try these out, mainly because it was online and I have a thing about online purchases. I've only bought makeup online because I trust my color-instincts when it comes to makeup. But with food or clothes and shoes, my gut-feel falls down to the zero-range.


But being the pretend daredevil that I am, and since Sumi spoke highly of these babies, I immediately sent a text to the owner of Epicurean Cakes and braced myself.

I later on found out, a countless text messages later that is, that Epicurean Cakes is owned by blogger Kim Buenafe of kimiviajera and her sister. I actually read her blog and couldn't make the connection until I asked her about it. ^^She was really kind and patient enough to answer my questions and I had a LOT because it was my first time buying food online. Well, unless you'd count takeouts from McDonalds. After a few arrangements, I made my payment thru BPI and had my dad pick it up from BGC. (Pick-ups are available around Antipolo and BGC and delivery are for orders 12 pcs. and up)



Minimum order is 6 pcs./flavor. Each cupcake is 40 Php. Quite on the lower-priced side of the cupcake town. This one is called Kitkat Choco Swirl/Twirl, I forgot. ^^ I was having a KitKat episode when I ordered this, but I did ask for my family's opinion. There are other interesting flavors like Red Velvet, Oreo S'mores, and others. Oh,they also have Charlie's Chocolate cupcake, which is 200% chocolate. Maybe it's meant for me? *haha*


Each cupcake is placed in a royal blue tin paper-is cup and they are all housed in a cute blue box.

The Verdict:
 I must say that I expected it to taste like the run-of-the-mill cupcakes I used to have but I was quite impressed. A little blown away actually. For its price, the cupcakes were pretty good. The base was very moist. The cupcake itself had a great balance between the base and frosting and I loved the Kitkat. I mean, that's an entire Kitkat stick jammed into a single cupcake. And the frosting, and you know I have frosting issues, the frosting was really good. My sister found it a little to milk-y but said it was still good. My family enjoyed it too. Let's just say the three of us enjoyed it so much that my dad just had to take our word for it with the taste. Loved it. ^^

We'd definitely be ordering from Epicurean Cakes again. Actually, my dad just ordered 6 of their red velvet cupcakes when he picked these up. Visit Epicurean Cake's Facebook page here for more information.

By the way, Epicurean Cakes needs at least 1 to 2 days to prep before delivery and a 50% downpayment is needed. ^^ Totally worth it, trust me.

I'd always be a loyal fan of Cupcakes by Sonja, but I must say, these cupcakes may just be as awesome. ^^

Cheerio!

UPDATE (05/31/13)- Tried their Red Velvet cuppies. So good! The frosting almost seemed like pure cream cheese. It was so thick and creamy and the cupcake base was just as great. Next flavor coming next week! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment