Friday, May 24, 2013

Food Talk: Cupcakes by Sonja

Hi guys! Another cupcake entry here. This one probably is the most way overdue post. ^^ My first "legit" cupcake was the Bunny Hugger from Sonja's (we call it Sonja's at home since saying Cupcakes by Sonja is quite a mouthful). That was around 2007 or 2008. I remember reading a short feature on her shop in a magazine and immediately decided that I wanted to try Sonja Ocampo's cupcakes, even if it's at Serendra in Taguig, which is very very very far from where I'm from. Since then, I've been a big, big fan and Cupcakes by Sonja has become a family favorite. Birthdays in our family were celebrated with cupcakes from Sonja's cupcake shop. ^^ I think her shop is actually what tickled my fancy in trying out other cupcake shops.

During my family's recent trip to Sonja's, I wasn't able to come but it seems that her shop has gone some major revamping and she's branching out (YEY!). Cupcakes by Sonja actually just opened a stall at Glorietta 2. Although I loved her quaint floral themed shop before, I love her new shop better. She infused a lot of red to what used to be pastel-colored.

*Photos by my sister











Cupcakes by Sonja's signature light blue box with the new red sticker


                                                             Bunny Hugger (80.00)
                                          
Vanilla Sunshine (65.00)

                                                                
Mocha Motion (72.00)



S'mores Tart (88.00)


Peppermint Patty (72.00)

Choco Surprise (80.00)



The Verdict:
Without a doubt, Cupcakes by Sonja will always be my favorite. So far, all their cupcakes I've tried for the past 5 years have never failed to impress me ^^-- moist base with awesomely flavored frosting. Most of the cupcakes look simple but they are all oozing with flavor. The cupcakes are never too sweet for me. My ultimate favorite is the Bunny Hugger, which is basically a carrot cupcake with cream cheese frosting dusted with cinnamon. I've never really enjoyed frosting because most frostings can be too butter-y and greasy, but that's different when it comes to these cupcakes. My sister loves the Vanilla Surprise. It was also her first Sonja's cupcake. ^^ All in all, love these cupcakes. ^^
We've tried a couple of their berries and cream variations, the lemon drop one, and the S'mores tart. All were amazing, but, a word of advice, if you'll be trying the S'mores tart, eat it just as it comes of the freezer or refrigerator. It's a refrigerated cupcake so it has a tendency to fall apart and become a little messy to eat when in room temperature. ^^

You can visit Cupcakes by Sonja at Serendra or at the 2nd floor of Bridgeway, Glorietta 2.

Cheerio!

UPDATE (11-10-13)- I saw to-be-shops in Greenhills and SM North Edsa recently wrapped in Cupcakes by Sonja banners. Yes, I am sooooooooooo excited that my favorite cupcake shop will have branches closer to home. ^^
UPDATE (05-20-14) - I saw a stall for Cupcakes by Sonja in the the new fashion hall of SM Megamall. So many branches, so little time. :D

2 comments:

  1. lovin' your blog bebe!
    got ideas where to buy this cute little cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mamee! Try mo cupcakes dito. You'll love them.^^

      Delete