Friday, November 9, 2012

An Attempt on Nail Art #3: Eyeshadow Nails inspired by Jung Saem Mool

Hi guys. I have this weird habit of dropping everything when I learn a new nail art, so my mom knows when I do because I run upstairs to grab the nail kit.

Anyway, a few hours ago, I learned this nail art from one of my favorite Korean make-up artists, Jung Saem Mool. It's a nail art that requires nail polish, patience, and eye shadow.

Watch how it's supposed to be done here. Don't worry, it has English subtitles. (Actually , I just watched it on my laptop. It seems as this one doesn't have subs, really sorry) =) But my phone can't read the subtitles, so I had to rely on gut feel and what my sister taught me.


So here's what it looks like. It looks kind of a light gradated nail art. You can have the color more intense, depending on how much eye shadow you use.

What I used:

Shiny Powder Eyeshadow in Blue
Sassy Colorless Nail Polish
A dipping bowl
Sponge Wedge

You can use any powder-form eye shadow. It needs to be powder because you're going to dip the sponge with clear polish on. You can also use any sponge. I suggest cutting it into a small piece about an inch long so it'd be easier to handle.

In the video, a base coat and top coat were used, but since I have neither, I used clear polish for both purposes.

Here's how to do it, at least how I did it: =)
1. Make sure your nails are dry and clean and put a coat of clear polish or base polish. Let it dry.

2. Put some of your powder eye shadow on a plate or bowl. Grab your sponge and put a coat of clear polish. To save your clear polish from becoming too glittery like mine, put the nail polish on a piece of plastic and dip the sponge there.

3. Dip the sponge immediately to the eye shadow. Make sure you do this fast since the nail polish dries up easily.

4. Dab as you like on your nails. When I did my ombre nails, a dip on the polish allowed me to coat at least 3 nails. But here, one coat of polish and one dip on the shadow is enough for only one nail. I tried using it on more than one nail and it didn't quite stick

5. Jung Saem Mool tapped the shadow on the nail to make sure it sticks, but what I did is run my nails under water. This would allow you to see what your nail would actually look like without the excess shadow. When you put on the top coat right after dabbing the shadow, the shadow would just spread on your entire nail, losing the effect. This also cleans your nails.

6. If you already like the color pay-off of the eye shadow, you can put on the top coat. But if you want a more intense color, repeat steps 2 to 5 until you get the color you want.

Hope you guys enjoy this like I did. Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment