Saturday, November 9, 2013

Certified Movie Buff: Doll Master

Hi guys! Can I tell you a little secret? I'm probably (at least I think I am) a bad person to go see movies with *haha*. I'm not a spoiler or anything but I do tend to react differently against the genre a movie is supposed to be. Say, I laugh at dramatic movies at times. It doesn't happen often but it has been known to happen. ^^

And, since I'll be talking about a horror film...please know that I actually scream before  something even happens. That's so I can actually prevent getting thrown of my chair or falling of my bed out of fright. ^^ It's a prepping thing.

Anyway, I mentioned a while back that I've been having a subtitled-movies phase lately and this was one of the movies I've watched. Out of all movie genres, horror is probably my least liked but when I do get the chance to watch horror films, I go for Korean and Filipino ones.

en.wikipedia.org
I was telling my sister to think a lot about renting this out since I am a scaredy cat and the CD cover just scared the daylights out of me. But because she heard that this was a good film, I kinda gave in and braced my self for yet another sleepless night.

Doll Master is a 2004 Korean horror flick that basically tells the story of, well, a doll master during the Japanese period who created a doll that he based or was inspired by a woman in a red kimono who he fell in love with. Then stuff happened (I don't want to spoil the movie for you! ^^) and the red kimono lady doll had to seek revenge which actually extended to the present time. This is how five complete strangers ended up stuck in a doll museum, trying to figure out the secret of the "new" doll master while struggling to save their lives.

The movie was nicely made and the plot definitely had gripping parts. I would say that this film made me a little more scared of porcelain dolls. Ever since my friend edited our highschool horror film with porcelain dolls cuts, I was already a little jittery seeing one and now this film.

It definitely wasn't as gory as I thought it would be. It did have parts where you'd want to cover up your eyes. But I've seen gory-gory-gory horror flicks and this is probably just 4/10 gory compared to all those others. 

Have you seen this flick? Did it give you a fright? Lemme know. Cheerio!
 

2 comments:

  1. I have seen this one a long time before and been a fan of Mina(the doll) ever since. :)) Such a great movie! Have you seen the "The Tale of Two Sisters"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The actress who played Mina looks so much like a doll. ^^ It is a good movie. ^^ I have seen the American version of The Tale of Two Sisters but I am hoping to watch the Korean one since I've heard it's much better. ^^

      Delete