Friday, October 18, 2013

Certified Movie Buff: Gwanghae, The Man Who Became King

Hi guys! It's been a while since I posted a movie entry. I actually have been watching a lot of movies lately but most of them are subtitled. ^^ There was Hua Mulan, then the Thai movie Hello Stranger, and a couple of Korean films. This one is of those many films.

I've actually read about this film in dramabeans way back. I found it interesting but a copy of a historical/sageuk film is just hard to come by. So when my sister recently watched this in school and took home a copy, I was ecstatic.

www.dramarecap.com
ilbfilms.com  
The title in Korean translates to Gwanghae, The Man Who Became King but it is also known as Masquerade. It is a 2012 film starring Lee Byung Hun, Han Hyo Joo, and Ryu Seung Ryong.

When King Gwanghae (Byung Hun) got sick due to, well, an assassination attempt, he called on his councilor and instructed him to find a man who resembles him to take over the throne for 15 days as he recovers. Basically, that's also to avoid causing an uproar in the kingdom. Read: Sick king = kingdom- all hell breaks loose. Then, they find Ha Sun (also Byung Hun), an entertainer/joker who just really seems like a happy-go-lucky guy. When he was eventually convinced to sit on the throne, Ha Sun's eyes were opened to things much bigger than he had ever imagined.

One of the very interesting things about the story is actually on Ha Sun's personality and Gwanghae's personality differences which didn't come unnoticed in the kingdom. Also, it was entertaining to see Ha Sun adjusting to the life of not just a royalty, but the head of the country. He was challenged to think more of the kingdom than just of himself, which he's totally not used to. 

This movie is just insanely good. I've had my huge share of dislikes when it comes to historical films but this film definitely changed that. It was witty, funny, and heart warming. And Byung Hun did such a great job portraying both the seemingly stone-hearted king and Ha Sun.

Although I can't vouch for the real-ness of the things tackled in this film, I'd actually recommend that you watch this if you get the chance. I think you just might enjoy it. ^^

Cheerio!
 

2 comments:

  1. I know I'm being a kill-joy/spoil-sport but how does it end? Tweet me? @manilawithlove or email manilawithlove@gmail.com ahahhaha. So your other readers won't know. :>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CJ! I sent you an email regarding the ending ^^ hahah. I hope I was able to help. Thanks for dropping by. ^^

    ReplyDelete